Thursday, July 2, 2015

July Challenges!

Challenge 1

Towards the end of my 30 day ab challenge, I was thinking about what I could do next. I really enjoyed the ab challenge in part because I had recruited some friends to do it along with me. I think, for many people, having others keep you accountable for what you're supposed to be doing is really helpful! This is certainly true of me! 






With a July challenge in mind, I posted on Facebook asking if anyone was interested in doing a 30 day Jillian Michaels workout video challenge. I first thought of Jillian because we go pretty far back. I was familiar with Jillian because of 'The Biggest Loser.' and I had done one of her videos before but it had been a while. Then, in 2013 I went through a breakup. Recognizing that during a previous breakup, I self-sabotaged myself and my health (unconsciously at the time), I decided that rather than eat my way out of my sadness, I would exercise it out of me. I dove into Jillian Michael's videos  completing 2 of her workout programs ('30 Day Shred,' 'Ripped in 30').

Pre-Jillian... sorry for the photo quality. It's actually difficult to find photos of me at that time!

Post-Shred and Ripped,  Pre-Keto Diet
Also, the first time, in about 25 years, that I wore a bikini!
I really love Jillian's 3-2-1 interval system. In around 30 minutes I can get a high intensity workout in, which combines strength training, cardio and ab work. Whenever I do a Jillian Michaels workout video program, I always see good results! So, after I started the keto diet, I returned to Jillian doing her 'Body Revolution' series. 

Had recently started 'Body Revolution'

Totally beasted it this day!

After completing the 90 Day, 'Body Revolution,' program.

Some friends were interested in participating in  a Jillian challenge, but others responded that they were interested in participating in a workout challenge, but wanted to do something other than a Jillian video. I decided to just make it a "July Fitness Challenge." where everyone who wanted to join committed to working out out 5-6 days a week for the month of July! We're on day 3 in Korea (day 2 in the U.S.) and so far I've seen a great group of people, some of whom don't even know each other, really support each other! I'm pretty excited about it! 

I have stuck with the original Jillian Michaels plan... specifically 'Ripped in 30.' I've done it before so I know I like it and that I can make it through this month! However, even though I've done it before, and I'm pretty familiar with this workout and it's moves, I have made it more difficult by upping the weights I'm using. I used to do the workout with 1kg hand weights. Now I'm using 2 and 3 kg weights! It's definitely making a big difference! I'm really feeling it in my shoulder blades and thighs today! Days 1 and 2 are complete... doing day 3 tonight! 

Challenge 2

This picture is from high school... notice the sweatshirt!

I'm not flexible. I've never been flexible. In fact... I'm almost the worst person I know at flexibility. I think some people are probably naturally more flexible, and I'm not one of them. However, I have to also admit that I don't like stretching. I've never been much of a stretcher. Even after a workout the stretches that I do are pretty limited. 

Last week, Elle asked me how close I was to being able to do the splits. I responded with a very confident, "Not even a little close." To which she suggested, "Why don't we do a splits challenge?" 

So... the plan is simple. We're going to do some stretching exercises every day with the hope of being able to do the splits by the end of the month. I'm currently using the following video:


Elle started with this video, which was extremely intimidating (but impressive):




To be honest, I'm not sure how confident I am about being able to do it by the end of the month, but I'm absolutely going to put in my time every day to get there, or as close as I can get! If I don't make it this month, I'm going to try my hardest to complete it as soon as possible!

I'll leave you with a photo of me on day 1, before having done the splits stretch video... but after 'Ripped': 


Check back soon for updates! Until then!



No comments:

Post a Comment